Wakefield Family History Sharing
Walkers History of Wakefield
2nd edition 1939 (privately printed)
St. Paul's, Alverthorpe
After the Battle of Waterloo, Parliament voted the sum of £1,000,000 out of the war indemnity paid to this country by Austria, as a thank-offering to God for the victory, in order that churches might be built in populous parts of the country. Grants from this fund were maid to build a church in each of the outlying parishes of Wakefield - Stanley, Alverthorpe and Thornes.
The second of the million pound churches, the church at Alverthorpe was dedicated to St Paul. The building was designed by Atkinson and Sharp of York. The foundation stone being laid on March 12th 1823 by Mr Ridsdale of Snapethorpe Hall. The church was consecrated two years later, having cost £7,828. Until 1840 the parish was served by a curate from the parish church of Wakefield, the Rev. G A Walker being placed in charge; in that year he was instituted as the first vicar.
Vicars of St. Paul's, Alverthorpe
G A Walker, MA, 1840 resigning in 1851
Jospeph Walton, MA, 1851, resigning in 1891
George Grantham Collins instituted Vicar of Alverthorpe in 1891 remaining until August 1903
J T Levens instituted 1904. He died in 1914
Joseph Walker instituted Vicar of Alvethorpe December 1914 and retired in September 1936. He died at Shoeburyness in 1937
Thomas Augustus Craggs instituted Vicar of Alverthorpe 1936
Alverthorpe Parish Records are available at the West Yorkshire Archive Service under the Ref WDP 43, baptisms 1825-1961, marriages 1838-1959 and burials 1825-1974
To read fully the events read 'Wakefield its History and People' by J W Walker OBE FSA